Sunday, June 2, 2013

For all of us who are seniors and graduating in a week...

I had a very long walk today, where I thought about lots and lots of things, and listened to my ipod nearly the whole time. It had been a long time since I listened to Hawk Nelson, but one set of lyrics really really stood out to me.
These are the things we go through
Let's take control and be ourselves
Let's not waste time wondering about
How we're gonna make it out
What if we're doing ourselves a disservice by being so anxious about everything to come? Yes, let's plan and prepare and do stuff to set ourselves up for success, but how many hours have we sat in conversation talking about how much we were freaking out?

It's finals week, and I don't want to lessen the importance of these tests. Clearly we can't fail out of college with a week until we walk across that stage. But I won't get to see some of you after we graduate. The last sight of you I'll have is in our caps and gowns, and then we'll go on with lives and be limited to facebook stalking to hear from each other again.

So, here's my goal this week: to have meaningful interactions with all of you. I've wasted so much of this year ignoring people, or not really keying in to what's going on around me because I've been self-absorbed in my own stress and life. And, let me admit, I've been kind of a jerk when at my most stressed. I don't want stress to overshadow all of my last memories at SPU. Let's enjoy these last few days, and take advantage of every chance to spend time together.


~Allison

No comments: