Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Taking advantage of a mid-week day off!

I feel like true days off are becoming wonderful mini-holidays for me. And for all of those in my life, because it means that I'm actually getting out of my little work-centered world, and instead having adventures! I had a fun trip this morning, so I thought my wonderful friends and family might like a break from the constant updates about work.

I got to have a morning out on the town today! Chris (my boyfriend, in case you missed that update) decided to take me out for a mid morning brunch, and we went to Lowell's, one of the restaurants in Pike Place Market. I had standard breakfast fare: scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, and toast, with a glass of orange juice. We got to sit at a table with a view over Elliot Bay, and discussed the ferries coming and going between Bainbridge Island and Bremerton and Seattle.

We walked around the market for a little bit, enjoying the fact that it was relatively empty since it was a weekday morning. Chris steered me down into the lower levels of the Market, and we dropped in to the comic book store to pick up another Star Wars poster. He already has a reprint of the original Return of the Jedi poster, but with a little rearranging, found room on the wall for both other posters from the original trilogy. He only bought The Empire Strikes Back's poster, citing A New Hope's poster as reason to go back another time.

We didn't stick for too much longer in the Market because one of my goals for coming downtown was to try and find a good winter wool coat before the temperatures start to plunge. When I went through my wardrobe in preparation for moving to Switzerland, I had realized that a couple of my old coats just weren't up to snuff any more, and had been planning to get a new one before I left. I've always wanted a good quality black pea coat, and decided to swing by Nordstrom Rack to find one while I was downtown. Turns out it's hard to find a wool coat in September in Seattle at the Rack, so I turned to the great downtown Macy's (which is huge, if you've never been), and not only found an awesome new pea coat for much less than I had budgeted, but also three new tops for work that put me right within my original budget. And, I have to be proud of this fact...Chris actually pointed out one of those three tops, asking, "Hey, isn't that something you would wear?" Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

After shopping success, we ran back to the Market to swing by Le Panier (an awesome French bakery) to pick up two big loaves of bread as our final errand. Overall, one of the more fun and productive mornings off I've had, and I still managed to get some cleaning done and a couple other errands run this afternoon, after kicking a particularly awful headache when I got home.

Not much else to report, other than a really early day tomorrow, opening at one job, then going and working another shift at the second job...but then I get to dress up and go out on the town for a concert entirely of music composed by Ravel at the symphony that night! Super excited!!! Then comes a hellish weekend, with a show late Friday night, opening at job #1 on Saturday morning, then pulling a 9.5 hour shift at job #2, then probably coming home and crashing until my show on Sunday (which is a matinee). Yup, this girl goes hard.

Hopefully see you all on the other side!
~Allison

No comments: