Saturday, October 27, 2012

Learning to adapt

I got to have a new experience today. I was "borrowed partner" at another store in my district, which means doing the very same things I do at my store, but it wasn't quite the same. Suddenly nothing was where I was used to it being, and the people around me had a system that I didn't quite fit into. By the end of my seven hours there, however, I started to get into a groove, and began to see the little tasks that I could do that others weren't doing. All in all, it was a really fun experience, and I enjoyed getting to meet new people who do the same thing I do, just a little differently.

Adapting seems to be the theme of this year for me. Suddenly the people I got so used to having around me are off, living their lives (especially those who have graduated), and those of us who are now seniors are also living our lives, working jobs, getting married, and prepping for the next steps in life. Not entirely to be expected, James and I decided to take a definite next step for the future, and decided that being together wasn't best for either of us. It was rather sudden, but not entirely unexpected.

I've definitely struggled to transition into this new part of my life, and have been amazingly blessed with all the love and support that my friends have given me. As much as it hurts, both James and I have agreed that we've started to grow and develop ourselves, and are learning to enjoy the time we have now.

Meanwhile, I've been on the fast track getting my recordings and paperwork ready for my grad school applications. I can say that my application and materials are officially ready for Eastman School of Music (my first choice school), and I've already begun my applications for two other schools. I had quite the celebration for the end of recording my solos yesterday, as suddenly it felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off of my shoulders. I'm really proud of the recordings and materials I came up with for my application, and I'm very hopeful that I'll get to do a live audition in February.

I'm more aware now than ever that I have no idea what the future will hold for me. I know where I want to go, and the goals I have in mind. I'm also realizing that being flexible and ready for anything is going to be just as important as having a plan set for myself. At least no one can say that my life is boring, least of all me. I'm excited for seeing what the future holds, though I hope not all of it is full of hard lessons in being flexible. Live and learn!

No comments: