Tuesday, September 18, 2012

NY Trip: Day Two

Today was much more chill than yesterday, or at least it seemed much lower in stress level. To help counteract jet lag, I went to bed as soon as I felt tired, which was 10:30 EST. I set no alarms so I would guarantee a full nights sleep, and to help make sure I wasn't disturbing all eleven of my roommates.
I woke up this morning around 7:30, feeling a bit groggy and with a headache, but otherwise fine. Hardly anyone else was stirring, so after a half hour checking my email, Facebook and twitter, I went back to sleep. 8:30 apparently was a better time to wake up.
After getting ready, I set out for Starbucks (I found one a block from the hostel) to grab a smoothie and banana bread, then caught the 1 and E trains down to the World Trade Center. It was crazy how much construction is going on down there, and also how tall all the skyscrapers are!
I didn't get to see the memorial, but the fact that I was at the site where thousands of people had lost their lives was incredibly powerful. I think I even teared up a little.
I proceeded to walk around, up towards City Hall. I took a break and sat by the waterfall in City Hall Park, then realized how close to the Brooklyn Bridge I was. Having decided to walk across the bridge, I set out, not realizing how LONG it is. Also, it was super windy. (you all will see when I get home and upload the pictures off my camera)
When I got to Brooklyn, I found the closest subway station, and went to catch the train back to Manhattan. Not realizing which direction was which, I incidentally caught the train going further into Brooklyn. It was sort of a laughable moment as the realization hit me, I stuffed my knitting back into my bag, and got off the train at the next stop. Two trains later, I was back at the hostel, rather hot (gosh, it's muggy here!) and footsore.
While I had been walking around today, I also got a call from one of the teachers I'm meeting tomorrow to tell me that it would be really hard to get me a pass to use the practice rooms at MSM (these kids practice so much, they have to sign up for rooms the night before! Crazy!). So, making a positive of the strange situation, I used my straight mute, while sort of hunched over in my bunk bed, to practice my horn. My face felt good, notes were there, and I'm excited for tomorrow! I have no idea where I'll warm up, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes, I suppose.
The rest of this evening looks to be pretty quiet, though I may wander the neighborhood to find something awesome for dinner. Then probably some more relaxing, knitting, and reading before my big day tomorrow!
And even more today than yesterday, I am so in love with this city! I hope that this trip will help all my hard work pay off, and tell me if this is where I get to be...so many nerves, and so much excitement! Truly, I've found what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Allie

No comments: